Murray will compete for Britain at Olympics


Andy Murray insists he will represent Great Britain at the Olympics in Beijing this summer, despite the Games being very close to the US Open.
"I'm definitely going to play at the Olympics," said the British number one.
"It's something that not all athletes get the chance to do in their career. It's an honour to represent your country and I'm looking forward to it.
"I'm just hoping I can get a good run this year and not have any problems with injury."
The tennis competition at the Olympics is set to finish on 17 August, with the US Open scheduled to start on 27 August.
The Games have been in the news for reasons other than sport this week, with the torch relays through London and Paris targeted by protesters displaying their anger over hosts China's human rights record.
However, Murray, 20, is simply focusing on the court challenges ahead.
"For me, the Olympics is more about the sport," he added.
"I'm just concentrating and looking forward to playing in the tennis. I'm not a politician."
The Scot may face world number one Roger Federer in China, with the Swiss star striving to improve upon an indifferent start to the season.
Federer has failed to reach a final this season but Murray expects the 12-time Grand Slam champion to recover in time for the grass court campaign.
"He has lost more matches than he has done for the last four or five years early on so he's obviously not playing his best but he's still number one in the world and he's probably going to stay there this year," stated Murray, who is travelling to Spain for next week's Valencia Open.
"But he's still number one in the world and he's probably going to stay there this year.
"He's not lost on grass for five years so I'm guessing he's still going to be in good form come Wimbledon time."
Murray, who spent most of his teenage years at the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona playing a lot on clay, is eager to get back to form on the surface.
"I practised on it a lot when I was younger and had good results," he said.
"When I went over to practise in Barcelona I won some tournaments on the clay so it's a court I can play well on.
"But I've hardly played on clay for the last couple of years so I'm going to try to get some good practice in and try to get used to it again."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Affiliate Code - Review

Mesothelioma Attorney